THE UNIVERSITY of EDINBURGH
DEGREE REGULATIONS & PROGRAMMES OF STUDY 2007/2008
Intermediate inferential statistics: testing and modelling (P01788)
This course will provide an extension beyond the foundation statistics courses to allow students to acquire a deeper and more extensive knowledge and understanding of how to test and model data at various levels of measurement for the purpose of making statistical generalisations.
? Keywords : inference; generalisation; parametric; non-parametric; multiple regression; logistic regression; ordinal regression; discrete probability distributions; Normal approximation to discrete distributions; forecasting; statistical process control
? Pre-requisites : Pass (minimum 50%) in Core Quantitative Data Analysis 1 and 2 or equivalent
Home subject area
Other subject areas
? Normal year taken : Postgraduate
? Contact Teaching Time : 3 hour(s) per week for 10 weeks
All of the following classes
? Additional Class Information : There will be a 1 hour computer workshop each week to practice problem solving using SPSS, which is labelled 'laboratory' above.
Summary of Intended Learning Outcomes
1. Understand the implications of various types of data measurement and related probability distributions.
2. Understand how to design research to investigate causal and explanatory relationships.
3. Understand the assumptions underpinning various statistical techniques based on asymmetric relationships.
4. Demonstrate ability to solve problems of an inferential nature.
5. Gain proficiency in the use of statistical software to analyse data; i.e. SPSS.
6. Interpret quantitative solutions in their applied context.
Take-home exercises at the conclusion of the course. These will require the use of computer software, as appropriate, and test knowledge and understanding across the whole course
Contact and Further Information
The Course Secretary should be the first point of contact for all enquiries.
Mrs Sue Grant
Dr Andrew Thompson
School Website : http://www.sps.ed.ac.uk/
College Website : http://www.hss.ed.ac.uk/