THE UNIVERSITY of EDINBURGH
DEGREE REGULATIONS & PROGRAMMES OF STUDY 2008/2009
Chemistry 1B (U00964)
An introduction to Chemistry which includes the following topics: methods of spectroscopic analysis, kinetics of chemical reactions, reactions of organic compounds containing common functional groups, chemistry of hydrogen and hydrides, and transition metal chemistry. Standard first course (with Chemistry 1A) for students intending to proceed to Chemistry 2 and for students of Chemical Engineering. Course work contributes to the overall assessment.
? Normal year taken : 1st year
? Contact Teaching Time : 7 hour(s) per week for 11 weeks
First Class Information
All of the following classes
1 of the following 3 classes
1 of the following 6 classes
? Additional Class Information : Laboratory Tu 0900-1200 or Tu 1400-1700 or F 1400-1700. Tutorial 1 hour per week during Mo 1400-1700 or Th 1400-1700.
Summary of Intended Learning Outcomes
At the end of the course, students should be able to:
1. understand, describe and account for: the elementary principles of reaction kinetics, redox reactions and introductory material relating to spectroscopic methods of chemical analysis
2. understand, describe and account for the chemistry of carbonyl compounds, amines, alcohols halides and ethers and the mechanisms of the reactions involved
3. understand, describe and account for the chemistry of hydrogen, the hydrides and, transition metals.
4. use their knowledge to explain observations and solve problems associated with material covered in the course
5. use laboratory equipment in a safe manner in order to perform simple synthetic procedures
6. write clear, succinct laboratory reports
Examination 3/4rds and practical work 1/4rd.
Contact and Further Information
The Course Secretary should be the first point of contact for all enquiries.
Mrs Rosie Filipiak
Dr Gordon McDougall
School Website : http://www.chem.ed.ac.uk/
College Website : http://www.scieng.ed.ac.uk/