THE UNIVERSITY of EDINBURGH
DEGREE REGULATIONS & PROGRAMMES OF STUDY 2008/2009
Music in the Community 3 (U00908)
This course will equip students to apply their musical knowledge and skills usefully in the community in a variety of situations, for example in education, special needs and music therapy.
? Keywords : music in the community music therapy
? This course is not available to visiting students.
? Pre-requisites : Performance and Keyboard 2 or Music Technology 2b.
? Prohibited combinations : This course is not available to students on the BA Humanities and Social Science.
? Costs : Travel expenses to placements are reimbursed by the University.
Home subject area
? Normal year taken : 3rd year
? Contact Teaching Time : 1 hour(s) per week for 22 weeks
? Other Required Attendance : 2 hour(s) per week for 22 weeks
All of the following classes
? Additional Class Information : Seminars in Weeks 1,3,5,7,9,11 plus weekly 2-hour long placements.
Summary of Intended Learning Outcomes
- Students will have gained experience in using creative and improvisational skills with individuals and groups.
- They will have developed their own practical musicianship in a community context.
- They will have had experience of communicating through music in a variety of community situations.
- They will have worked together with professional musicians and clients in placements.
- They will have analysed and evaluated their own placement work and reflected on its outcomes.
One coursework submission of up to 5,000 words based on placement work (50%) and the assessment of the placement work by professional project leaders (50%).
Contact and Further Information
The Course Secretary should be the first point of contact for all enquiries.
Miss Lindsay Hunter
Ms Dee Isaacs
Course Website : http://www.music.ed.ac.uk
School Website : http://www.ace.ed.ac.uk/
College Website : http://www.hss.ed.ac.uk/