THE UNIVERSITY of EDINBURGH
DEGREE REGULATIONS & PROGRAMMES OF STUDY 2009/2010
Industrial Management 1 (BS0002)
This course is a service course primarily for students in the College of Science and Engineering and provides a broad introduction to some aspects of business management and business organisation. The main topics are: the firm and its objectives, economic factors in management, marketing, accounting and human resource management.
? This course is not available to visiting students.
? Pre-requisites : Available only to students from the College of Science and Engineering
? Prohibited combinations : Business Studies 1.
? Normal year taken : 1st year
? Contact Teaching Time : 3 hour(s) per week for 10 weeks
? Other Required Attendance : 1 hour(s) per week for 10 weeks
First Class Information
All of the following classes
? Additional Class Information : Plus tutorials.
Summary of Intended Learning Outcomes
1. Secure understanding of rudimentary economic theory and accounting concepts and practices;
2. Demonstrate familiarity with concepts and techniques associated with the chief functional management disciplines;
3. Appreciate the relevance of contextual factors in impinging upon productive performance;
4. Appreciate the relevance of management disciplines as a means of improving productive performance.
1. Have developed the facility, through tutorials, to analyse and solve organisational problems and issues.
2. Appreciate the contribution of social science perspectives towards understanding and improving organisational performance.
1. Demonstrate ability to digest, summarise and evaluate critically a range of management literature and to structure and present written work in accordance with academic and social science conventions in reachign reasoned conclusions.
2. Through tutorials, have been encouraged to develop oral skills and the confidence to present, discuss and challenge key managerial issues and concepts in group settings.
1 Essay of 1500 words in Semester 1. 1 Essay = 30%, December Degree Exam = 70%, Resit Exam = 100%.
Contact and Further Information
The Course Secretary should be the first point of contact for all enquiries.
Miss Anne Cunningham
Dr Geoff Gregson
School Website : http://www.business-school.ed.ac.uk
College Website : http://www.hss.ed.ac.uk/