THE UNIVERSITY of EDINBURGH
DEGREE REGULATIONS & PROGRAMMES OF STUDY 2009/2010
Qualitative Approaches to the City (P01785)
This course provides postgraduate training in qualitative approaches in urban studies. It delivers advanced understandings of the role of qualitative methods in urban research, and specifically in relation to more 'scientific' understandings. It allows students to develop an understanding of a range of relevant methodological approaches by way of the following themes: urban semiotics, urban ethnography, cinematic cities, sensory cities, city voices, urban morphologies, and the city as text. The course content considers specifically the relationship between these methodological themes and, on the one hand, the ways we 'know' the city (epistemology) and, on the other, the way we research the city (techniques). The course delivers this content through a structure in which an actual city space is investigated using these differing qualitative lenses.
Home subject area
? Normal year taken : Postgraduate
? Contact Teaching Time : 2 hour(s) per week for 11 weeks
Summary of Intended Learning Outcomes
Students undertaking this course will:
- Acquire and advanced understanding of the role of qualitative methods in urban research
- Understand the relationship between qualitative methodologies and wider debates about urbanism and modernity, both in 'First World' and 'Third World' cities.
- Understand the distinctive attributes of cities that are uncovered by drawing upon qualitative methodologies
- Attain advanced knowledge of the core qualitative research methods of urban studies
- Understand the varied knowledge outputs that each of these methods
- Be equipped to discern the appropriate research methodology for their research question.
- Gain practical experience in applying techniques of data gathering and analysis associated with these methodologies.
3,000 word written assignment
Contact and Further Information
The Course Secretary should be the first point of contact for all enquiries.
Ms Caroline Keir
Prof Jane Jacobs
Course Website : http://www.geos.ed.ac.uk/postgraduate/MSc/mscprogrammes/geores/
School Website : http://www.geos.ed.ac.uk/
College Website : http://www.scieng.ed.ac.uk/