THE UNIVERSITY of EDINBURGH
DEGREE REGULATIONS & PROGRAMMES OF STUDY 2009/2010
Changing French Policy and Politics in Comparative European Perspective (P03352)
This Option seeks to extend and apply the analytical framework developed in the Core Course, investigating the frequently antagonistic dynamics generated in French policy and politics by trends in the direction of change. The abstraction inherent in conceptual reflection will be complemented through empirical enquiry, while the ‘microscope effect’ of focusing on a particular country will be obviated by recourse to comparison, situating the developments considered within the wider European context.
Home subject area
? Normal year taken : Postgraduate
? Contact Teaching Time : 2 hour(s) per week for 10 weeks
Summary of Intended Learning Outcomes
By the end of this course, students will have learned:
- To deploy the comparative method in the interpretation of country-specific data;
- To assess the explanatory value of different approaches in policy analysis theory through application to particular cases;
- To differentiate between exceptionalism and particularity;
- To analyse the dynamics involved in different modes of policy change;
- To relate policy change to the evolution of value systems.
One 4,000 word essay to be submitted on the date specified in the programme handbook.
Contact and Further Information
The Course Secretary should be the first point of contact for all enquiries.
Mrs Kate Marshall
Mr Graham Vaughan Rogers
School Website : http://www.llc.ed.ac.uk/
College Website : http://www.hss.ed.ac.uk/