THE UNIVERSITY of EDINBURGH

DEGREE REGULATIONS & PROGRAMMES OF STUDY 2011/2012
- ARCHIVE for reference only
THIS PAGE IS OUT OF DATE

University Homepage
DRPS Homepage
DRPS Search
DRPS Contact
DRPS : Course Catalogue : School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures : European Languages and Cultures - Hispanic Studies

Undergraduate Course: Portuguese Language 2 (ELCH08013)

Course Outline
SchoolSchool of Literatures, Languages and Cultures CollegeCollege of Humanities and Social Science
Course typeStandard AvailabilityAvailable to all students
Credit level (Normal year taken)SCQF Level 8 (Year 2 Undergraduate) Credits20
Home subject areaEuropean Languages and Cultures - Hispanic Studies Other subject areaNone
Course website None Taught in Gaelic?No
Course descriptionThis course builds on the skills acquired in the first year, developing competence in spoken and written Portuguese with a view to preparing students for the challenges of working or studying abroad in year 3. Students will have 2 contact hours per week. The written language seminar will allow students to develop comprehension and writing skills in a variety of registers and contexts as well as reinforcing grammer learnt in the first year and expanding vocabulary. The oral classes will offer students the opportunity to improve their confidence in speaking Portuguese and to develop listening comprehension and presentation skills.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
Pre-requisites Students MUST have passed: Portuguese 1 (ELCH08012)
Co-requisites
Prohibited Combinations Other requirements None
Additional Costs Textbook cost of approximately 35
Information for Visiting Students
Pre-requisitesNone
Displayed in Visiting Students Prospectus?Yes
Course Delivery Information
Delivery period: 2011/12 Full Year, Available to all students (SV1) WebCT enabled:  Yes Quota:  None
Location Activity Description Weeks Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
No Classes have been defined for this Course
First Class Week 1, Friday, 13:10 - 13:50, Zone: Central. David Hume Tower 11.12
Additional information The first class meeting will be held week 1, Friday, 1pm-2pm. Thereafter, 2 class hours per week to be arranged in keeping with student and staff availability.
Exam Information
Exam Diet Paper Name Hours:Minutes
Main Exam Diet S2 (April/May)2:00
Resit Exam Diet (August)2:00
Summary of Intended Learning Outcomes
By the end of this course, students will be able to express themselves confidently and effectively in both written and spoken Portuguese in a range of situations and registers and will be familiar with the principal grammatical and lexical distinctions between European and Brazilian Portuguese.

They will possess a broad vocabulary and have developed excellent reading and listening comprehension skills.

Through the texts and recordings they will have encountered, they will also have a good knowledge of issues pertinent to Portuguese and Brazilian current affairs.
Assessment Information
There will be regular written language exercises, two written class tests, and two assessed listening comprehensions.
All language exercises will be marked out of 100. The marks for the class tests (20%), and the listening comprehensions (20%) make up 40% of the total year assessment. The remaining 60% will be decided by the May Degree Examinations (Oral examination, 40%; Language component of examination, 60%)
Special Arrangements
None
Additional Information
Academic description Not entered
Syllabus Not entered
Transferable skills Not entered
Reading list Not entered
Study Abroad Not entered
Study Pattern Not entered
KeywordsNot entered
Contacts
Course organiserDr Charlotte Hammond Matthews
Tel: (0131 6)50 3631
Email: c.e.liddell@ed.ac.uk
Course secretaryMrs Fiona Scanlon
Tel: (0131 6)50 3646
Email: Fiona.Scanlon@ed.ac.uk
Navigation
Help & Information
Home
Introduction
Glossary
Search DPTs and Courses
Regulations
Regulations
Degree Programmes
Introduction
Browse DPTs
Courses
Introduction
Humanities and Social Science
Science and Engineering
Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
Other Information
Timetab
Prospectuses
Important Information
 
© Copyright 2011 The University of Edinburgh - 16 January 2012 6:01 am