Undergraduate Course: Professional Issues for Mechanical Engineers 3 (SCEE09001)
|School||School of Engineering
||College||College of Science and Engineering
||Availability||Available to all students
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 9 (Year 3 Undergraduate)
|Home subject area||Mechanical
||Other subject area||None
||Taught in Gaelic?||No
|Course description||This course covers a range of issues and activity associated with mechanical engineering practice. These include legal issues and knowledge of real world activity through engineering applications, guest lectures and industrial visits.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
|Additional Costs|| None
Information for Visiting Students
|Displayed in Visiting Students Prospectus?||Yes
Course Delivery Information
|Delivery period: 2011/12 Full Year, Available to all students (SV1)
||WebCT enabled: Yes
|King's Buildings||Lecture||Semester 1||1-11|| 12:10 - 13:00|
|King's Buildings||Laboratory||Semester 1||1-11|| 09:00 - 12:00|
|King's Buildings||Laboratory||All Year||1-22|| 09:00 - 12:00|
|King's Buildings||Laboratory||Semester 2||18-29|| 09:00 - 12:00|
|King's Buildings||Lecture||Semester 2||18-29|| 12:10 - 13:00|
||Week 1, Tuesday, 09:00 - 12:00, Zone: King's Buildings. ME Lab |
|No Exam Information
Summary of Intended Learning Outcomes
|On completion of the course, the students should appreciate and experience:
1. Workshop safety.
2. Quality Control.
4. hands-on experience of manufacture.
5. Skills for the use of hand tools.
6. Material Properties.
7. The application of simple management techniques in practical situations.
8. Develop the application of commercial design packages to practical design problems.
9. Legal issues including the Health and Safety Regulations
10. The job application process including, writing CVs and covering letters.
11. Appreciation of industrial practice through guest lectures and industrial visits.
|CV and Covering Letter (50%) and Industrial Visits Report (50%)|
|Course organiser||Dr Luciana D'Adderio
Tel: (0131 6)51 3573
|Course secretary||Ms Kathryn Nicol
Tel: (0131 6)50 5687
© Copyright 2011 The University of Edinburgh - 16 January 2012 6:45 am