Undergraduate Course: Physical Education in the Primary School (EDUA10089)
|Moray House School of Education
|College of Humanities and Social Science
|Not available to visiting students
|Credit level (Normal year taken)
|SCQF Level 10 (Year 4 Undergraduate)
|Home subject area
|Other subject area
|Taught in Gaelic?
|This elective course aims to help students develop a more detailed and critical understanding of physical education in the primary school curriculum. The course will develop students' understanding of the developmental principles underpinning the structure and delivery of the primary physical education curriculum. Students will develop their knowledge and understanding of traditional and contemporary physical education activities and will concentrate on the use of developmentally appropriate methods of planning, delivery and assessment. The course will follow a mixed mode of delivery in the university including lectures, seminars and practical workshops.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered
Summary of Intended Learning Outcomes
|A: Learning Outcomes
By the end of the course students will be able to :
1. Critcally analyse the key developmental principles influencing the physical educaiton curriculum in the primary school.
2. Demonstrate a detailed understanding of traditional and contemporary developments within physical education in the primary school.
3. Employ a range of developmentally appropriate practices in both the planning and delivery of the physical educaiton programme in the primary school.
4. Develop their understanding and skills of assessment in aspects of physical education in the primary school.
5. Enhance their capacity to critically reflect on the contribution of physical education in the primary school, after school and community contexts.
6. Demonstrate some originality in dealing with professional issues in the primary school context.
7. Communicate effectively with peers and professional colleagues within the primary school context.
8. Practise in ways that show a clear awareness of their own and others' professional roles and responsibilities.
|WITH THE EMERGENCE OF HEALTH AND WELLBEING AS A CORE AREA OF THE 3-18 CURRICULUM AND TWO HOURS OF PHYSICAL EDUCATION FOR ALL PUPILS A KEY DEVELOPMENT WITHIN THIS, WHAT ARE THE KEY CONSIDERATIONS THAT SCHOOLS WILL NEED TO ADDRESS IN ORDER TO CREATE A QUALITY PHYSICAL EDUCATION EXPERIENCE FOR ALL CHILDREN?
STUDENTS SHOULD UNDERTAKE ACRITICALEVALUATION OF APPROPRIATE LITERATURE
THE ESSAY SHOULD BE NO MORE THAN 4,000 WORDS
|Ms Kay Dewar
Tel: (0131 6)51 6584
|Miss Emily Salvesen
Tel: (0131 6)51 6661