Postgraduate Course: Strategic Management: Concepts & Applications (EDUA11075)
|Moray House School of Education
|College of Humanities and Social Science
|Available to all students
|Credit level (Normal year taken)
|SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
|Home subject area
|Other subject area
|Taught in Gaelic?
|This course provides an introduction to the advanced study of management and aims to provide an applied theoretical framework for students regardless of their previous experience of or studies in management. Key concepts, principles and processes will be explored; and course members will be encouraged to develop the application of these to their own professional activities.
A particular emphasis will be placed on
a) the complex, varied and fragmented nature of managerial work; the operational demands of the workplace environment and of quality and continuous improvement imperatives
b) environmental turbulence and uncertainty: the impact of external environmental forces within the global, continental, national, regional and local framework
c) the nature of strategy and planning within organisations - the role of strategy in providing cohesion in relation to purpose
d) organisational stakeholders and stakeholder theory; the implications of stakeholding for corporate decision-making and strategy
e) legal accountability, social responsibility and ethical standards.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
Information for Visiting Students
|Displayed in Visiting Students Prospectus?
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered
Summary of Intended Learning Outcomes
1. Present an informed review of a range of relevant literature on the concept and practice of management; the concepts of the organisation and of organisational behaviour.
2. Demonstrate the ability to undertake a theoretically informed strategic audit of a selected organisation.
3. Present a reasoned evaluation of the scope for improvement in a selected organisation by the application of a strategic management approach [in the sphere of training and development].
4. Present an informed analysis of a strategic management case study which is appropriately grounded in relevant theory.
5. Demonstrate an informed understanding of and ability to apply key management concepts.
|1. A review of literature which is presented for formative assessment,
2. A strategic audit of a selected organisation (4-4500 words)
|Mr Peter Evans
Tel: (0131 6)51 6345
|Mrs Susan Scott
Tel: (0131 6)51 6573