Archive for reference only

University Homepage
DRPS Homepage
DRPS Search
DRPS Contact
DRPS : Course Catalogue : School of Clinical Sciences : General Courses (Medicine)

Postgraduate Course: Acute Medicine and Clinical Decision Making (GMED11072)

Course Outline
SchoolSchool of Clinical Sciences CollegeCollege of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
Course typeStandard AvailabilityNot available to visiting students
Credit level (Normal year taken)SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate) Credits10
Home subject areaGeneral Courses (Medicine) Other subject areaNone
Course website None Taught in Gaelic?No
Course descriptionThis course aims to ensure that the candidate understands how to manage the majority of common emergency medical admissions and will be taught using clinical case scenarios. It will also look at clinical decision making in the acute medical context. Clinical decision-making is an important but often neglected part of health care provision today. Psychologists have studied the process of decision making for over half a century and identified a number of theoretical frameworks that could explain the behaviours employed by physicians in everyday real life situations that affects the level of patient care. This course will explore the underlying theories and put them in to real clinical situations.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
Pre-requisites Co-requisites
Prohibited Combinations Other requirements None
Additional Costs None
Course Delivery Information
Delivery period: 2013/14 Semester 1, Not available to visiting students (SS1) Learn enabled:  Yes Quota:  None
Web Timetable Web Timetable
Course Start Date 16/09/2013
Breakdown of Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info) Total Hours: 100 ( Lecture Hours 10, Seminar/Tutorial Hours 5, Online Activities 50, Summative Assessment Hours 10, Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours 25 )
Additional Notes
Breakdown of Assessment Methods (Further Info) Written Exam 90 %, Coursework 10 %, Practical Exam 0 %
No Exam Information
Summary of Intended Learning Outcomes
At the completion of the course the student should have a broad knowledge of how to diagnose and treat common medical emergencies. They should be able to recognise and assess the sick patient, know how to perform advanced life support and how to implement ongoing care. Students should understand the main philosophical theories and processes that are relevant to clinical decision making. They will understand the barriers to effective decision making in a clinical environment and consider way to overcome these. They will discuss patient safety more widely and examine how clinical processes could be improved.

The student should:
Understand how to diagnose and treat common emergency medical presentations
Understand how to recognise the sick patient and when to call for help
Understand how to perform basic and advanced life support
Understand how to continue care for patient once the emergency has been handled
Understand some of the main theoretical models of decision making.
Understand the role of decision making in a clinical environment and barriers to effective clinical decision making
Reflect how patient safety may be compromised by poor decision making and ineffective healthcare environments and create strategies to overcome these.
Assessment Information
Formal summative written assessment will constitute 90% of the student's grade (clinical case scenarios). Online assessment (discussion boards and group work (wikis)) will constitute the other 10% of their overall course grade and is taken to represent a formative assessment of learning throughout the programme.
Special Arrangements
Additional Information
Academic description Not entered
Syllabus Not entered
Transferable skills Not entered
Reading list Not entered
Study Abroad Not entered
Study Pattern Not entered
KeywordsClinical Decision Making, Acute Medicine.
Course organiserDr Colin Barrie
Tel: 0131 242 9402
Course secretaryMiss Angela Rankeillor
Tel: 0131 242 6536
Help & Information
Search DPTs and Courses
Degree Programmes
Browse DPTs
Humanities and Social Science
Science and Engineering
Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
Other Information
Combined Course Timetable
Important Information
© Copyright 2013 The University of Edinburgh - 13 January 2014 4:18 am