- ARCHIVE as at 1 September 2013 for reference only

University Homepage
DRPS Homepage
DRPS Search
DRPS Contact
DRPS : Course Catalogue : School of History, Classics and Archaeology : Ancient History

Undergraduate Course: The City of Carthage: From Dido to the Arab Conquest (ANHI10054)

Course Outline
SchoolSchool of History, Classics and Archaeology CollegeCollege of Humanities and Social Science
Course typeStandard AvailabilityAvailable to all students
Credit level (Normal year taken)SCQF Level 10 (Year 3 Undergraduate) Credits20
Home subject areaAncient History Other subject areaNone
Course website None Taught in Gaelic?No
Course descriptionThis course explores the history and archaeology of the city of Carthage from its Phoenician foundation in the 9th century BCE through to the end of Roman Carthage in the late 7th century CE. The course will explore some of the current areas of research related to Punic and Roman Carthage including the rise of the Phoenicians
in the Western Mediterranean, comparative colonization between Greeks and Phoenicians, Punic identity, the rise of a Carthaginian Empire, and the conflict and contact between Carthage and Rome. The Punic wars, the fall of Carthage, and the rise of the Roman city will also be covered. We will also look at evidence for the Punic diaspora and for the survival of Punic culture into the Roman period, specifically in the areas of language and religion. The course will explore the sources for the study of Carthage, both Greek and Roman, and where possible Punic, including literary evidence, inscriptions, burials, statuary and temples. Focus will be given to an understanding of the city in its many incarnations and the transformations
that have shaped its history. As well, students will become aware of the historiography of the study of Carthage over the last 200 years and the development of Punic studies as an academic discipline.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
Pre-requisites Co-requisites
Prohibited Combinations Other requirements None
Additional Costs None
Information for Visiting Students
Displayed in Visiting Students Prospectus?No
Course Delivery Information
Not being delivered
Summary of Intended Learning Outcomes
an understanding of the varied complexity of the large body of evidence for Carthage and Carthaginian history in both a literary and a material context;
an understanding of how the study of Carthage and Punic culture has advanced in recent scholarship;
an understanding of the history of Carthage and its importance for the political, social and cultural historian of the ancient Mediterranean, as well as the theoretical implications for the study of ancient concepts of identity and ethnicities;
an ability to use critically a variety of different methodologies and approaches to this body of material gained from a thorough interaction with scholarship and primary materials;
Assessment Information
Students will submit a course journal (worth 20% of the overall mark), a research project (worth 30% of the overall mark) and sit a two-hour degree examination (worth 50% of the overall mark). The research project will allow students to engage with a specific aspect of Carthage of their choosing (with the approval by course organiser);
the medium will also be varied. For example, they may choose to write an essay in the traditional format (maximum of 3000 words) on the Phoenicians and Carthaginians in Herodotus, or they may choose to work on a poster presentation on the Tophet and the issue of child sacrifice. The course organiser will provide feedback on submitted work in line with School policy relating to timescales and
content. The external examiner for Classics will be responsible for this course.
Special Arrangements
Additional Information
Academic description Not entered
Syllabus Not entered
Transferable skills Not entered
Reading list Not entered
Study Abroad Not entered
Study Pattern Not entered
KeywordsNot entered
Course organiserDr Sandra Bingham
Tel: (0131 6)50 6689
Course secretaryMs Elaine Hutchison
Tel: (0131 6)50 3582
Help & Information
Search DPTs and Courses
Degree Programmes
Browse DPTs
Humanities and Social Science
Science and Engineering
Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
Other Information
Combined Course Timetable
Important Information
© Copyright 2013 The University of Edinburgh - 10 October 2013 3:20 am