Postgraduate Course: Material Technologies (ARCH11230)
|School||Edinburgh College of Art
||College||College of Humanities and Social Science
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||The aim of this course is to provide a technological perspective to materials. It consists of two parts:
1. A short programme workshops and seminars on material properties and evaluation - to understand materials through characteristics such as fracture, ductility, stiffness, creep, combustibility etc. It will include workshops at the laboratories of the School of Engineering on materials testing, combustibility and analysis.
2. An introduction to digital fabrication and design. A review of software systems and hardware systems, the role of prototype in practice and design. A critical engagement on the role of fabrication. It will also include a visit to a commercial digital fabrication company.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Information for Visiting Students
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2014/15, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 38,
Feedback/Feedforward Hours 10,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||The course will be examined by:
A written report (2500 words) - 60%
A project based study on digital fabrication - 40%
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- To understand the principle physical phenomena that categorise and define material behaviour and process.
- To understand the methodologies for the material evaluation.
- To understand and use the various software and hardware for digital fabrication.
- To critically evaluate the role and effective application of digital fabrication in design and creative practice in terms of both current and forthcoming systems.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Dr Remo Pedreschi
Tel: (0131 6)50 2301
|Course secretary||Miss Lizzie Robertson
Tel: (0131 6)51 5852
© Copyright 2014 The University of Edinburgh - 12 January 2015 3:22 am