Undergraduate Course: Intermediate Biblical Hebrew (BIST08017)
|School||School of Divinity
||College||College of Humanities and Social Science
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 8 (Year 2 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||Consolidation of structured grammar learning; plus a study of the following Biblical Hebrew texts: 1 Samuel 1; Jonah; Deuteronomy 5-6; Amos 3-5.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
|| Students MUST have passed:
Introducing Biblical Hebrew (BIST08013)
||Other requirements|| None
Information for Visiting Students
|Pre-requisites||Visiting students should usually have at least 1 introductory level Divinity/Religious Studies course at grade B or above (or be predicted to obtain this) for entry to this course. We will only consider University/College level courses.
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2014/15, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Lecture Hours 44,
Feedback/Feedforward Hours 1,
Summative Assessment Hours 2,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Class exam (40%) + Degree exam (60%).
In order to pass this course, students must obtain a minimum of 40% in each of the above assessed components.
||Hours & Minutes
|Main Exam Diet S2 (April/May)||2:00|
|Resit Exam Diet (August)||2:00|
| At the end of the course, students should:
1) be able to parse accurately regular and irregular forms of the verb in all conjugations;
2) have increased their basic core of frequently used vocabulary;
3) have attained fluency in the oral reading of the set passages of Hebrew texts;
4) have a good knowledge of text-critical, historical and literary issues related to the passages enumerated below;
5) be able to demonstrate an ability to identify key terms and their meanings;
6) be able to demonstrate good judgement about how to judge the relative importance of items on course bibliographies.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Prof Timothy Lim
Tel: (0131 6)50 8919
|Course secretary||Ms Katrina Munro
Tel: (0131 6)50 8900
© Copyright 2014 The University of Edinburgh - 12 January 2015 3:32 am