Undergraduate Course: The Greek World 1B: Greece's New Horizons (CLGE08002)
|School||School of History, Classics and Archaeology
||College||College of Humanities and Social Science
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 8 (Year 1 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||This course will introduce students to the history and culture of the Greeks in the period from c. 476 BC to the Hellenistic age.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Information for Visiting Students
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2014/15, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Lecture Hours 33,
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 5,
Summative Assessment Hours 2,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Essay of c 2000 words: 25%
Short exercise of c. 750 words: 15%
One two-hour degree examination: 60%
||Hours & Minutes
|Main Exam Diet S2 (April/May)||2:00|
|Resit Exam Diet (August)||2:00|
| By the end of the course students should be able to demonstrate in their essay, short exercise and exam a reasoned understanding of:
- the main developments in Greek history and culture in the period.
- the diverse sources for, and methods of, approaching the ancient Greek world (in history, art and archaeology, and literature).
In addition they should be able to:
- assess, analyse and criticise the various forms of ancient materials.
- compare and evaluate different approaches to and explanations of the ancient material in the secondary sources and make critical choices between them.
- express their ideas and arguments clearly (in both oral and written form).
- compare data from different sources and draw conclusions from them.
- organise their own learning, manage their workload and work to a timetable.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Additional Class Delivery Information
||1 hour(s) per week for 5 week(s).
|Keywords||Greek World 1B / Ancient Greece
|Course organiser||Dr John Holton
|Course secretary||Ms Elaine Hutchison
Tel: (0131 6)50 3582
© Copyright 2014 The University of Edinburgh - 12 January 2015 3:38 am