Undergraduate Course: Design Symposium 1 (DESI07005)
|School||Edinburgh College of Art
||College||College of Humanities and Social Science
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 7 (Year 1 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||This course encourages students to consider different approaches to knowledge and enquiry as they look at issues affecting the world in which we live. It is designed to help students develop a deeper critical understanding of their chosen area of study by setting the subject in a wider context.
The aims of the course are:
1. To introduce students to an issues-based approach to creative and intellectual endeavor
2. To provide the students with the opportunity to reflect on their discipline within a wider context
3. To encourage interdisciplinary collaborative activity and debate
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2014/15, Not available to visiting students (SS1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 4,
Feedback/Feedforward Hours 62,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Portfolio of work - semester 1 and 2
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- ANALYSE: demonstrate the ability to examine an issue from a number of viewpoints in a collaborative context.
- REFLECT: demonstrate the ability to reflect on their discipline within a wider context.
- COMMUNICATE: communicate proposals, concepts and responses orally, visually and in writing, using a variety of appropriate methods and forums.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Ms Zoe Patterson
Tel: (0131 6)51 5720
|Course secretary||Ms Jane Thomson
Tel: (0131 6)51 5713
© Copyright 2014 The University of Edinburgh - 12 January 2015 3:43 am