Undergraduate Course: Design Research and Context 3a (DESI09023)
|School||Edinburgh College of Art
||College||College of Humanities and Social Science
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 9 (Year 3 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
In this course, students will source and analyse appropriate research material from the broader external context of their discipline, to inform the writing of a study proposal and other appropriate complementary documentation, which will enable them to plan and develop a personal direction for their practice.
1. To enable the student to identify and evaluate an appropriate range of professional contexts and options.
2. To enable the student to develop a coherent plan of study which demonstrates an emerging understanding of personal direction.
3. To develop the students' abilities in critical analysis and project management.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| This course is only available to ECA students on degree programmes belonging to Design.
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2014/15, Not available to visiting students (SS1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Portfolio and documentation of project work.
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- EVALUATE: demonstrate a recognition of the philosophical and professional context for the discipline and apply appropriate professional evaluative practices
- PLAN: demonstrate the ability to reflect on the wider external context and their personal position within it, and formulate a plan for the potential future direction of their work
- COMMUNICATE: communicate proposal concepts, plans and responses orally, visually and in writing, using a variety of strategies.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Ms Zoe Patterson
Tel: (0131 6)51 5720
|Course secretary||Ms Jane Thomson
Tel: (0131 6)51 5713
© Copyright 2014 The University of Edinburgh - 12 January 2015 3:44 am