Postgraduate Course: Dissertation (MSc in Science and Religion) (DIVI11010)
|School||School of Divinity
||College||College of Humanities and Social Science
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||An opportunity to engage with a particular topic in the Science/Religion field in depth through research, culminating in a 15,000 word dissertation.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2014/15, Not available to visiting students (SS1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 12,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||A dissertation of up to 15,000 words must be submitted in two soft-bound copies = 100% of assessment.
If the dissertation of a student is assessed at 50% or more, the MSc will be awarded.
If the dissertation is assessed at 40-49%, the Diploma will be awarded.
The degree may be awarded with Distinction. To achieve a distinction a candidate must have been awarded at least 70% or more for the dissertation and must also have been awarded a mark for the coursework element that is close to the 70% standard.
|No Exam Information
| After successful completion of this course, a student will:
1) have developed the ability to identify, propose and justify a suitable subject of enquiry;
2) have learnt to sift and demarcate the appropriate material intended for research;
3) have developed the ability to engage critically with the research material;
4) have read widely in the relevant scholarly literature and will have formed his or her own views on the subject;
5) have planned and written a dissertation, describing the results of personal research, and demonstrating the ability to defend a thesis in 15,000 words;
6) have learnt how to observe appropriate academic conventions with respect to style, tone, paragraphing, footnoting and referencing.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Keywords||Science, religion, theology, dissertation, research.
|Course organiser||Dr Mark Harris
Tel: (0131 6)50 8914
|Course secretary||Ms Joanne Hendry
Tel: (0131 6)50 7227
© Copyright 2014 The University of Edinburgh - 12 January 2015 3:45 am