Postgraduate Course: Approaches to Research: Science and Religion (DIVI11015)
|School||School of Divinity
||College||College of Humanities and Social Science
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||This course prepares students in the MSc in Science and Religion for their research dissertation.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2014/15, Not available to visiting students (SS1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 10,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 2,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||A 15 minute oral presentation to the class of the research proposal (40%);
a 2000 word written proposal (60%).
|No Exam Information
| After successful completion of this course, a student will have:
- reflected upon how to embark on a major research project, including the refinement and focusing of the topic, and the gathering of preliminary bibliographical material;
- reflected on strategies for planning the research project;
- been given opportunities to develop their ideas in discussion with peers;
- engaged in critical constructive dialogue with their peer¿s ideas;
- demonstrated the ability to deliver their dissertation proposal as an oral presentation;
- demonstrated the ability to gather the above together into a written proposal.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Additional Class Delivery Information
||4 hours of teaching and 6 hours dissertation proposal presentations.
|Keywords||Science, religion, theology, research, dissertation.
|Course organiser||Dr Mark Harris
Tel: (0131 6)50 8914
|Course secretary||Ms Joanne Hendry
Tel: (0131 6)50 7227
© Copyright 2014 The University of Edinburgh - 12 January 2015 3:45 am