Postgraduate Course: Developing Physical Education in The Early Years (EDUA11191)
|School||Moray House School of Education
||College||College of Humanities and Social Science
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||This course will focus on developing teacher's knowledge and understanding of the preschool and early primary physical education curriculum. The course will be set within a lifelong developmental framework and will consider traditional physical activities and contemporary initiatives within the respective age groupings. The course will also consider teachers' pedagogy and
support skills, paying particular attention to developmentally appropriate practices.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2014/15, Not available to visiting students (SS1)
|Course Start Date
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||This course will be assessed by a 4000 word or equivalent assignment. The assignment will require course members to discuss and evaluate the role of contemporary physical education curricula within the specific age group and also to plan, deliver and critically evaluate a developmentally appropriate programme within their school.
|No Exam Information
| - Demonstrate a critical awareness of the key principles underpinning lifelong learning in physical education, with particular reference to the 3-8 age range.
- Develop a detailed and critical understanding of traditional and contemporary developments within physical education in the pre-school and early years of primary schooling.
- Extend their understanding and skills of developmentally appropriate practices in delivering the 3-8 physical education curriculum
- Enhance their capacity to support, work collaboratively with and influence professional colleagues within the 3-8 school context
- Apply contemporary theories of learning and teaching in physical education through the planning, delivery and critical evaluation of a developmentally appropriate 3-8 physical education programme
- Demonstrate some originality in dealing with professional issues in the primary school context
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Mr Mike Jess
Tel: (0131) 312 6001x278
|Course secretary||Ms Marie Hamilton
Tel: (0131 6)51 6678
© Copyright 2014 The University of Edinburgh - 12 January 2015 3:51 am