Postgraduate Course: Dissertation, Taught MSc in Eighteenth Century Cultures (PGHC11375)
|School||School of History, Classics and Archaeology
||College||College of Humanities and Social Science
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||Students will write a dissertation proposal of 1,500 - 200 words and a dissertation of 12,000 words on a subject agreed with their supervisor. The dissertation is an extended piece of scholarship in which a student is expected to formulate and sustain an argument and to engage critically and analytically with the literature in the field, building upon relevant concepts covered in the taught element of the degree and deploying a range of primary and secondary sources. Each student will be allocated two supervisors.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Information for Visiting Students
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
| The dissertation for the taught MSc in Eighteenth Century Cultures provides students with the ability:
- To formulate and implement a plan of research.
- To formulate hypotheses relating to the student's research subject and to test them by marshalling a range of primary and secondary evidence.
- To locate a specific thesis within its broader historiography.
- To reflect critically on the processes and methods involved in research and writing.
- To construct and pursue a coherent historical argument based on the hypotheses which have been formulated and tested by reference to primary and secondary source material.
- To locate an argument - whether verbal or written - within a broader intellectual context and to evaluate its implications from that more general perspective.
- To conceive and pursue to its conclusion a coherent argument founded on evidence provided by the sources at the student's disposal.
- To undertake a sustained independent research project, and to complete it within a strict time limit.
- To write clear, accurate, precise and concise prose.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Keywords||18 Eighteenth Century Cultures dissertation
|Course organiser||Dr Adam Budd
Tel: (0131 6)51 3761
|Course secretary||Mrs Lindsay Scott
Tel: (0131 6)50 9948