Undergraduate Course: Fourier Analysis (PHYS09054)
|School||School of Physics and Astronomy
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 9 (Year 3 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||Details to follow - first half of the proposed Fourier Analysis and Statistics course.
- Linear algebra view of functions: orthonormal basis set, expansion in series.
- Fourier series: sin and cos as a basis set; calculating coefficients; examples of waves; Complex functions; convergence, Gibbs phenomenon.
- Fourier transform; uncertainty principle.
- Solving Ordinary Differential Equations with Fourier methods.
- Applications of Fourier transforms: Fraunhofer diffraction; Quantum scattering; forced-damped oscillators; wave equation; diffusion equation.
- Alternative methods for wave equations: d'Alembert's method; extension to nonlinear wave equation.
- Convolution; Correlations; Parseval's theorem.
- Power spectrum; Sampling; Nyquist theorem.
- Dirac delta; Fourier representation.
- Green's functions for 2nd order ODEs.
- Sturm-Liouville theory: orthogonality and completeness.
Information for Visiting Students
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2014/15, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Lecture Hours 11,
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 11,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 2,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Coursework 20%, examination 80%.
||Hours & Minutes
|Main Exam Diet S1 (December)||Fourier Analysis (PHYS09054)||2:00|
| To follow.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Prof John Peacock
Tel: (0131) 668 8390
|Course secretary|| Yuhua Lei
Tel: (0131 6) 517067
© Copyright 2014 The University of Edinburgh - 12 January 2015 4:39 am