Undergraduate Course: Homiletics 3/4 (THET10008)
|School||School of Divinity
||College||College of Humanities and Social Science
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 10 (Year 3 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||An advanced course in preaching with special attention to hermeneutical, theological, practical and contextual issues.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Information for Visiting Students
|Pre-requisites||Visiting students should have at least 3 Divinity/Religious Studies courses at grade B or above (or be predicted to obtain this). We will only consider University/College level courses.
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2014/15, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 22,
Supervised Practical/Workshop/Studio Hours 10,
Summative Assessment Hours 2,
Revision Session Hours 1,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||20% Seminar presentation and participation
50% Degree Examination
||Hours & Minutes
|Main Exam Diet S1 (December)||2:00|
| By the end of the course participants should be able to:
1. Demonstrate a critical understanding of the liturgical, pastoral and public contexts of preaching.
2. Demonstrate the ability to exegete specific genres of biblical texts appropriately for preaching.
3. Outline and evaluate the different approaches to preaching found in the 'new homiletic'.
4. Evaluate preaching form and content.
5. Demonstrate an ability to identify key terms and their meanings.
6. Demonstrate good judgement about how to judge the relative importance of items on course bibliographies.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Prof Jolyon Mitchell
Tel: (0131 6)50 8922
|Course secretary||Ms Katrina Munro
Tel: (0131 6)50 8900
© Copyright 2014 The University of Edinburgh - 12 January 2015 4:49 am