Undergraduate Course: Solids Processing 3 (CHEE09008)
|School||School of Engineering
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 9 (Year 3 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||This course comprises the physical principles underlying particle/solids characterization, processing and handling and associated equipment employed.
1. Characterisation of assemblies of solid particles: histograms, frequency curves, oversize and undersize plots.
2. Definitions of mean diameters, sphericity, ratio of specific surfaces, bulk density and porosity.
3. Methods of size analysis.
4. Production of solid particles: size reduction; energy requirements and equipment; size enlargement by granulation; size separation.
5. Mixing of solid particles: mixing index and types of mixer.
6. Transfer function modelling of solid handling operations.
7. Movement of solid particles: hydraulic and pneumatic conveying, screw and belt conveyors.
8. Storage of solids
9. Relative particle-fluid motion: drag coefficient and its variation with particle Reynolds number; Stokes' Law, Free-settling ratio, design of free-settling hydraulic and aerodynamic classifiers.
10. Rotary motion in fluid-particle systems: cyclones and centrifuges.
11. Hindered settling. Extraction of data from batch settling tests by Kynch method and design of thickeners.
12. Flow of fluids through beds of solid particles: Carman-Kozeny and Ergun equations for pressure gradient.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
|| Students MUST have passed:
Process Calculations 2 (CHEE08014)
||Other requirements|| None
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2016/17, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Lecture Hours 20,
Formative Assessment Hours 1,
Summative Assessment Hours 2,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 2,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Degree examination with two equally weighted questions in December
||Hours & Minutes
|Main Exam Diet S1 (December)||Solids Processing 3||2:00|
|Resit Exam Diet (August)||Solids Processing 3||2:00|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Understand the principles involved in particle/solid characterization, production, motion, mixing and storage.
- Describe and explain the operation of the solids processing equipment covered in the course.
- Be able to make correlations of the physical principles underlying the behaviour of particulate materials covered in the course to processes (ex. microscopic) and equipment not explicitly described in this course.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Dr Xianfeng Fan
Tel: (0131 6)50 5678
|Course secretary||Mrs Lynn Hughieson
Tel: (0131 6)50 5687
© Copyright 2016 The University of Edinburgh - 3 February 2017 3:30 am