Undergraduate Course: Chemical Physics 4P (CHPH10005)
|School||School of Chemistry
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 10 (Year 4 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||This course aims to provide training in the methods and skills required for students to successfully undertake their final year research project. There will be a variety of small-group projects covering key skills and techniques required for a broad a range of research fields across Chemistry and Physics. The course forms part of the Honours curriculum for students on the MChemPhys degree programme.
The course consists of structured exercises, which introduce specific analytical, computational, research planning, and practical techniques. These exercises are carried out in small groups, and development of group-working skills is an important aim of this part of the course. Students will be assessed on their performance during the exercises and on their ability to communicate results in an appropriate format, such as written reports, posters, oral/video presentations etc.
In a written exercise, students will also research and write a literature review which summarises a current area of research.
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Critically analyse and interpret the results of original research, drawing and defending a set of conclusions.
- Present, at a professional level, the results of research in an appropriate format.
- Survey the scientific literature in a given field, and successfully summarise recent research progress in the form of a written article.
- Apply this range of research-skills to embark upon a programme of original research, working as a member of a team.
|Project specific resources will be provided.|
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
||1. Become familiar with working as part of a team.
2. Develop professional research skills.
3. Practice in communicating science.
|Keywords||Chemical Physics 4P,Chemistry,Physics,Research,Group-work
|Course organiser||Prof Eleanor Campbell
Tel: (0131 6)50 4729
|Course secretary||Mrs Moira Wilson
Tel: (0131 6)50 4754