Undergraduate Course: Design Studio 1 - Illustration (DESI07038)
|School||Edinburgh College of Art
||College||College of Humanities and Social Science
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 7 (Year 1 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||This course introduces students to a range of design practices through a series of projects enabling the development of fundamental creative and technical skills. Students are encouraged to develop a personal direction through making, evaluating, presenting and reflecting.
The aims of the course are:
1. To introduce fundamental creative methods, techniques and approaches in response to project briefs
2. To encourage curiosity and a sense of risk taking
3. To introduce the fundamental materials and associated processes
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| This course is only available to ECA students on degree programmes belonging to Design.
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2016/17, Not available to visiting students (SS1)
|Course Start Date
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Lecture Hours 3,
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 24,
Supervised Practical/Workshop/Studio Hours 59,
External Visit Hours 8,
Feedback/Feedforward Hours 32,
Formative Assessment Hours 3,
Summative Assessment Hours 3,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 8,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Portfolio of project work.
||Feedback will be given within 15 working days from the hand-in via Learn.
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- RESPOND: Demonstrate creative responses to project briefs.
- DEVELOP: Demonstrate a range of fundamental skills and knowledge of processes and materials, through creative projects.
- REALISE: Evaluate a body of research work and select suitable concepts for realisation in an appropriate form.
- Brian Grimwood (2012) Brian Grimwood: the man who changed the look of British Illustration. London: Black Dog Publishing
- Angus Hyland and Roanne Bell (2003) Hand to Eye: a survey of contemporary Illustration. Laurence King
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Ms Astrid Jaekel
Tel: (0131 6)51 5732
|Course secretary||Miss Karolina Mazur
Tel: (0131 6)51 5712
© Copyright 2016 The University of Edinburgh - 3 February 2017 3:42 am