Postgraduate Course: Oncology (GMED11077)
|School||Deanery of Clinical Sciences
||College||College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||This course will allow students to develop a deeper level of knowledge and understanding in speciality areas of medicine of their choice. Individual speciality tutors will use increasingly complex clinical case studies to broaden knowledge. They will guide students to appropriate seminal publications in their speciality and encourage them to present and review recent journal article in a group setting (online journal club)(e.g using Blackboard Collaborate). On-line publication review forms will also be used to assess of literature evaluation skills. Historically important, controversial, topical and novel papers will be discussed.
Student collaboration will develop 21st century skills, through the development of collaborative pieces of work.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| MBChB (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery/Chirurgery) or equivalent.
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2016/17, Not available to visiting students (SS1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Lecture Hours 10,
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 5,
Online Activities 50,
Summative Assessment Hours 10,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Formal summative written assessment in the form of a wiki will constitute 80% of the student's grade. This will be assessed by tutors. Each group member will assess their peers and this collaborative mark will form the remaining 20%. Constructive feedback should also be given.
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Understand and explain the basic mechanisms underpinning the development of Cancer.
- Explain the causes and common features of the most common cancers encountered in Internal Medicine.
- Recognise and formulate management plans for the most common oncological emergencies.
- Understand and explain the basic treatment options available for treating cancers, including new biological therapies.
- Demonstrate the ability to work individually and in a group to synthesise knowledge and develop online learning resources.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Prof Simon Maxwell
Tel: (0131) 537 2506
|Course secretary||Mrs Krislyn Mcwilliams-Biles
Tel: (0131 5)37 2506
© Copyright 2016 The University of Edinburgh - 3 February 2017 4:16 am