Undergraduate Course: Mechanical Engineering Design 3 (MECE09019)
|School||School of Engineering
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 9 (Year 3 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||NOT RUNNING IN 2014/15 - replaced by MECE09026: Sustainable Energy Group Design Project 3
This course aims to give students experience of tackling an engineering design problem with all the uncertainties of the real world, personal interactions and time management.
1 Introduction to group working
2 Introduction to project, plus brainstorm in groups
3-4 Working in groups, surgery tutorials
5 Interim report deadline
6 Feedback lecture and full class questions
7-9 Working in groups, surgery tutorials and mini-lectures if necessary
10 Final report deadline
11 Group interviews
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Information for Visiting Students
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
| On completion of the course, the students should be able to:
1. Analyse a real problem and identify the key difficulties.
2. Appreciate the uncertainties and gaps in design data.
3. Produce a range of possible solutions.
4. Select the best of them.
5. Write key design equations.
6. Do neat assembly drawings and detailed drawings of some critical parts.
7. Understand something of group dynamics and personal interactions.
8. Understand the non-linear passage of time and its acceleration at the end of a project.
|Course organiser||Prof Alistair Borthwick
Tel: (0131 6)50 5588
|Course secretary||Mrs Lynn Hughieson
Tel: (0131 6)50 5687