Postgraduate Course: Policy, Leadership, Management and Evaluation (MEED11020)
|School||Edinburgh Medical School
||College||College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||The course will engage with some general concepts about policy, leadership and change management with a view to exploring their significance in determining the nature and quality of clinical education. The concepts and examples chosen will enable the student to understand the nature of the educational circumstances in which they work, and will enable them to apply some of the core skills in their own education practice. Specific examples include the importance of governing bodies, such as the GMC and international equivalents. Due consideration will be given to the broad political context of policy making and how this impacts on delivery of healthcare and the work of health professionals. We will explore the value of different approaches to leadership and change management in the context of delivering service improvement relevant to clinical education. The topics covered will reflect emerging policy issues so will include, but not be restricted to,
- The definition, development and implementation of policy
- Leadership theories and styles and their relevance to clinical education
- Approaches to change management and their application in the context of service improvement
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2016/17, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Lecture Hours 8,
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 8,
Online Activities 64,
Feedback/Feedforward Hours 1,
Formative Assessment Hours 1,
Summative Assessment Hours 30,
Revision Session Hours 2,
Other Study Hours 1,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||One written assignment of 3000 words.
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Adopt a critical and analytical approach to policy in clinical education.
- Relate a variety of models and principles of leadership and management to their own work context.
- Critically reflect on leadership and management approaches they have seen or used.
- Apply appropriate change management strategies.
- Critically review the relationship between clinical education and service improvement.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
||Online environments are used for the teaching, learning and assessment of all courses on the MSc programme. This includes the Waverley Suite, allowing interactive visual, audio, textural and graphical modes of communication, in the same synchronous or asynchronous event.
|Course organiser||Dr Derek Jones
Tel: 0131 242 6536
|Course secretary||Mrs Debbie Spence
Tel: (0131 6)51 6536
© Copyright 2016 The University of Edinburgh - 3 February 2017 4:46 am