Postgraduate Course: Bioinformatics Research Proposal (PGBI11033)
|School||School of Biological Sciences
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||The aim of this module to to develop generic research skills.
Student will demonstrate their ability to develop interesting concepts into research/development proposals.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2016/17, Not available to visiting students (SS1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Lecture Hours 10,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Assessed assignments 100%
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Students will be able to critically evaluate research literature appropriate for their project subject, and use existing research to design their experiments.
- Students will be able to develop a structured research proposal that puts the project in scientific context and outlines the contributions that the project will make to the field.
- Students will be able to discuss and evaluate research proposals with particular reference to key hypotheses and methodological approaches.
- Students will be able to plan a project timeline, taking into account limitations imposed by their own time, and develop contingency plans for possible issues.
- Students will be able to deliver a detailed and balanced report on a research topic.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Dr Daniel Barker
Tel: (0131 6)51 7812
|Course secretary||Miss Emma Currie
Tel: (0131 6)50 5988
© Copyright 2016 The University of Edinburgh - 3 February 2017 4:51 am