Postgraduate Course: Dissertation 1 - GeoSciences (PGGE11108)
This course will be closed from 13 January 2017
|School||School of Geosciences
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||A research and professional skills training tailored to the student's area of interest which will develop conceptual and analytical skills specific to that area. The programme will also develop a range of generic professional skills which will contribute to the student's intellectual development and career aims and aspirations.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2016/17, Not available to visiting students (SS1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Dissertation/Project Supervision Hours 10,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 36,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
|No Exam Information
| Knowledge & understanding - The degree is essentially a training exercise for research and professional skills development but students will be required to demonstrate a depth of comprehension and critique in the core elements of the subject area.
- critical analysis and management of data
- judging the relationship between theory and methodology, and the influence of one upon the other
- assessment of the appropriate methods of data collection/analysis to address the research question
- assessment of relevance of previous studies
- critical thinking.
- research design and management
- methods of achieving research and project funding
- written, numerical, and analytical skills
- production of scientific reports.
- written, visual and oral delivery and dissemination of research findings
- interpersonal and communication skills
- computing proficiency
- organisation skills.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Dr Andrew Curtis
Tel: (0131 6)50 8515
|Course secretary||Mrs Elspeth Martin
Tel: 0131 535 4198
© Copyright 2016 The University of Edinburgh - 3 February 2017 4:54 am