Postgraduate Course: Forensic Plant Health (PGGE11204)
|School||School of Geosciences
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||The proposed course will provide an introduction to plant health exploration and characterisation through a series of lectures and associated lab classes and field visits aimed at providing a foundation in the essential components of plant health investigation.
Students would be introduced to the concepts of plant health investigations; the techniques used in diagnosing and evaluating plant health problems.
Students will be provided with the basic skills required to conduct plant health investigations, including field visits, sampling, laboratory processing, analysis and reporting.
Exact timetabling is subject to change based on the availability of teaching staff but we will make every effort to keep linked sessions together.
Week 1: Introduction ¿ concepts and impacts of plant health.
Week 2: Plant health investigation ¿ skills, tools, methods, reporting.
Week 3: Field investigation in managed agricultural ecosystems
Week 4: Investigation of managed agricultural ecosystems ¿ case study
Week 5: Field investigation in forestry ecosystems
Week 6: Investigation of forestry ecosystems ¿ case study
Week 7: Field investigation in urban environments
Week 8 Investigation of urban environments ¿ case study
Week 9: Field investigation in managed horticultural environments
Week 10: Investigation of managed horticultural environments ¿ case study
Week 11: Revision and exam technique.
The course provides an insight and experience of the skills sets desirable to the employment sector concerned with the diagnosis and evaluation of plant health problems in a range of contexts.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
|Additional Costs|| None
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2016/17, Available to all students (SV1)
|Course Start Date
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Lecture Hours 14,
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 4,
Supervised Practical/Workshop/Studio Hours 10,
Feedback/Feedforward Hours 4,
Formative Assessment Hours 4,
Revision Session Hours 2,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Coursework assessment (50%) of a practical report based on laboratory or field investigation of around 3000 words (37.5% of total class mark), a 10 minute presentation (12.5% of total class mark) and an exam (50% of total class mark). The exam will be an essay (25%) and questions 5 from 8 (25%)
The report and presentation are of a plant health investigative topic selected by the student and approved by the teaching staff.
||Hours & Minutes
|Main Exam Diet S1 (December)||Forensic Plant Health||2:00|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Have an understanding the exploration of plant health in agricultural, horticultural production systems and urban and natural environments
- Carry out an investigation to determine the nature of a plant health issue
- Be able to evaluate a plant health problem and report appropriately
|To be provided.|
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
||Students will acquire and develop the following transferable skills:
Investigative ¿ to develop an understanding of evidence-based diagnosis of plant health issues and the assessment of abiotic and biotic factors.
Analytical & interpretative ¿ understanding of sampling techniques, sample investigation and interpretation and reporting of outcomes in the appropriate format.
Methodological ¿ to develop an understanding of investigative approaches, their limitations and utilisation in addressing a range of plant health issues.
|Keywords||Crop protection,forestry,horticulture,agriculture,rural and urban ecosystems,land management,e
|Course organiser||Dr Neil Havis
|Course secretary||Mrs Elspeth Martin
Tel: 0131 535 4198
© Copyright 2016 The University of Edinburgh - 3 February 2017 4:55 am