Postgraduate Course: Research Planning and Management in the GeoSciences (PRGE11014)
|School||School of Geosciences
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary|| - good practice in research;
- doing science, the philosophy of research;
- research project planning and implementation;
- effective writing and literature review;
- web page production an design on the GeoSciences server;
- fieldwork planning, health and safety, ethics;
- problems and solutions in postgraduate research.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Information for Visiting Students
|Pre-requisites||Already on MScR or PhD programme or equivalent
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2016/17, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Lecture Hours 21,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||100% continuous assessment:
3500-word assignment on an in-depth literature review related to the student's specific research project.
|No Exam Information
| - acquisition of research design, planning and management skills;
- acquisition of skills in the planning and conduct of fieldwork;
- knowledge of the research postgraduate monitoring and support in the School and beyond;
- knowledge of research postgraduate student activities across the School.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Additional Class Delivery Information
||Classes of 2-3 hours once a fortnight for 7 weeks, normally Wed or Thurs am in S1.
|Course organiser||Dr Stephen Brusatte
Tel: (0131 6)50 6039
|Course secretary||Mrs Katy Cameron
Tel: (0131 6)50 5854
© Copyright 2016 The University of Edinburgh - 3 February 2017 5:09 am