Undergraduate Course: Biochemistry Research Project (BICH10018)
|School||School of Biological Sciences
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 10 (Year 4 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||Laboratory based independent research project incorporating preparation of a research grant proposal.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2017/18, Not available to visiting students (SS1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 4,
Dissertation/Project Supervision Hours 250,
Supervised Practical/Workshop/Studio Hours 14,
Feedback/Feedforward Hours 2,
Formative Assessment Hours 20,
Summative Assessment Hours 16,
Other Study Hours 32,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 12,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Additional Information (Learning and Teaching)
Researching and writing your project, preparing for your presentation
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Written report 50%
Lab performance 20%
Project Talk 10%
Grant Proposal 20%
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- The ability to research the background literature relating to a particular area of research.
- To become proficient in a subset of laboratory techniques related to the line of research.
- Develop an ability to plan and execute an experimental plan and interpret the results of experiments.
- To present and discuss the results in two formats: a research talk and a short scientific written report or paper.
- Develop a long-term research plan by preparing a grant proposal
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Dr Julia Richardson
Tel: (0131 6)50 7052
|Course secretary||Mrs Claire Black
Tel: (0131 6)50 8637