Postgraduate Course: Specialist-Level Clinical Care (DENT12007)
|Deanery of Clinical Sciences
|College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
|Credit level (Normal year taken)
|SCQF Level 12 (Postgraduate)
|Available to all students
|Clinical care of patients appropriate to the discipline with an emphasis on independent practice and management of complex/inter-disciplinary cases.
The student will be required to undertake the clinical care of patients attending for new patient assessment, out- and in-patient treatment clinics and multi-disciplinary clinics. All patient treatment will be recorded in a reflective Clinical Portfolio. In addition, students will attend clinical discussion groups including journal- and trauma clubs.
Students will be assessed on two clinical case-studies. Students will have forty minutes preparation time to review the two cases. A structured oral assessment of forty minutes duration will be conducted by two examiners with twenty minutes dedicated to each case.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2017/18, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 12,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
|Two simulated case-studies assessed in a structured viva voce: 100%
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Clinical competence at the level of a specialist for an appropriate range of treatment techniques
- The ability to analyse and manage complex problems within their discipline
- The ability to consider, appraise and evaluate the relative benefits of different modalities of dental treatment appropriate to the discipline
- The ability to determine evidence-based best-practice according to individual patient need and the ability to evaluate the efficacy of treatments
- The ability to interact and work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team amongst dental, medical and surgical specialties
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Clinical care; complex care; multi-disciplinary care; independent practice; specialist-level
|Dr Jennifer Foley
|Ms Anna Atluri
Tel: (0131) 536 3982