University Homepage
DRPS Homepage
DRPS Search
DRPS Contact
DRPS : Course Catalogue : School of Geosciences : Earth Science

Undergraduate Course: Geology Dissertation (EASC10011)

Course Outline
SchoolSchool of Geosciences CollegeCollege of Science and Engineering
Credit level (Normal year taken)SCQF Level 10 (Year 4 Undergraduate)
Course typeDissertation AvailabilityAvailable to all students
SCQF Credits40 ECTS Credits20
SummaryStudents are required to choose a mapping area (typically of 8-18 km2), write a mapping proposal, carry out independent geological mapping of the area over a minimum of 28 days of field work, and present field documentation (field note book and field maps) and professionally produced dissertation and final map. Full details are given in the mapping handbooks.
Course description The very comprehensive and detailed syllabus is available in Parts One and Two of the Handbook for the Geology Honours Dissertation Mapping Project 2013-15 (Blue Book), which is updated annually and available from the course's LEARN site.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
Pre-requisites It is RECOMMENDED that students have passed Field Skills for Geologists (EASC09031) AND Geology 3rd Year Field Courses (EASC09029) AND Structural Geology (EASC09002)
Prohibited Combinations Other requirements None
Information for Visiting Students
High Demand Course? Yes
Course Delivery Information
Academic year 2017/18, Available to all students (SV1) Quota:  None
Course Start Semester 2
Timetable Timetable
Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info) Total Hours: 400 ( Lecture Hours 4, Seminar/Tutorial Hours 4, Supervised Practical/Workshop/Studio Hours 10, Fieldwork Hours 224, Feedback/Feedforward Hours 6, Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 8, Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours 144 )
Assessment (Further Info) Written Exam 0 %, Coursework 100 %, Practical Exam 0 %
Additional Information (Assessment) The course is assessed based entirely on the dissertation and associated documents. Primary field observations (field notebook and field maps) and geological interpretation (cross sections) count for 60% of the final mark. The written dissertation and final map will provide the remaining 40%, including how the data is presented and displayed to support the arguments and interpretations. The final map and dissertation should be prepared to a good, professional standard. Marks will be deducted for poor presentation and writing.

Use the advice available in the mapping and thesis preparation handbook, as well as ensuring you read all the relevant sections in the "Blue Book" carefully.
Feedback Students will be assigned an advisor, who is a member of academic staff that will provide feedback to student throughout the entire dissertation, from the project planning stage through field work to data processing and report writing. Additional feedback can be obtained from the course organiser where necessary.
No Exam Information
Learning Outcomes
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
  1. Execute a mapping project which enables you to develop a detailed knowledge and understanding of a field area.
  2. Produce professional level insights, interpretations and solutions to problems and issues.
  3. Use and apply a wide set of practical field skills confidently.
  4. Process information and data you have collected in the field.
  5. Develop autonomy and initiative in both mapping and interpretation. The skills learned will be transferable to any situation that requires problem solving, hypothesis testing and scientific report writing.
Reading List
Relevant literature on the chosen field area.
Additional Information
Graduate Attributes and Skills A seriously character forming exercise.
Study Abroad The options to conduct the field work as part of study abroad are laid out in the blue book.
KeywordsGeology_dissertations,Independent field work
Course organiserDr Florian Fusseis
Tel: (0131 6)50 6755
Course secretaryMiss Sarah Thomas
Tel: (0131 6)50 8510
Help & Information
Search DPTs and Courses
Degree Programmes
Browse DPTs
Humanities and Social Science
Science and Engineering
Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
Other Information
Combined Course Timetable
Important Information