Undergraduate Course: German Language Paper 1 (ELCG10016)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Humanities and Social Science
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 10 (Year 4 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||This course consists of weekly classes in translation from German into English in semester one and report writing in German in semester two.
This course develops students' skills in translation and writing in German. In translation, the course works with texts from contemporary German media covering a variety of subjects, and introduces students to the techniques and practice of translation as cultural mediation, and to questions of genre and text function, style and register. The other half of the course is concerned with précis writing: students produce summaries of English texts in German, reading for the informational content of the text and practising writing German that conveys complex information clearly, succinctly and in an appropriate style.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
|| Students MUST have passed:
German 2 (ELCG08006)
||Other requirements|| Entry to Honours in German
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2017/18, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Lecture Hours 22,
Summative Assessment Hours 3,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 2,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||20% coursework / 80% degree exam. A practice examination takes place at the end of semester 1.
Students will submit 5 written language exercises (one précis and one translation per semester, as well as either a précis or a translation in semester 2).
The best précis mark counts for 50% of the overall coursework mark, (10% of the overall course mark).
The best translation mark counts for 50% of the overall coursework mark, (10% of the overall course mark).
In addition, there will be 3-hour class test in December, consisting of 1 x précis and 1 x translation from German to English. The mark for this is formative only and does not count toward the overall coursework mark.
The end-of-year written examination consists of:
1 x translation of a passage from German into English.
1 x précis of about 250 words.
The translation and the précis each account for 50% of the overall exam mark.
||Hours & Minutes
|Main Exam Diet S2 (April/May)||3:00|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate a broad palette of German vocabulary with a high degree of grammatical accuracy in writing, even on abstract, complex and unfamiliar topics, supported by a sophisticated understanding of the culture of the German-speaking countries.
- Engage successfully with complex written texts on concrete and abstract topics and in a variety of styles,
- Demonstrate an ability to extract information from a text and summarise it efficiently in German for a new audience.
- Engage with the theory and practice of translation from English into German, showing excellent command of English in an appropriate style and a sensitivity to cultural difference.
- Consistently exercise autonomy and initiative, taking significant responsibility for the work of others and for a range of resources to bring about new thinking.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Keywords||DELC German 4 LP1
|Course organiser|| Michael Wood
|Course secretary||Miss Gillian Paterson
Tel: (0131 6)50 3646