Undergraduate Course: Portuguese Language 2 (ELCH08013)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Humanities and Social Science
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 8 (Year 2 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||This course builds on the skills acquired in the first year, developing competence in spoken and written Portuguese with a view to preparing students for the challenges of working or studying abroad in year 3.
Students will have 2 contact hours per week. The written language seminar will allow students to develop comprehension and writing skills in a variety of registers and contexts as well as reinforcing grammar learnt in the first year and expanding vocabulary. The oral classes will offer students the opportunity to improve their confidence in speaking Portuguese and to develop listening comprehension and presentation skills.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
|| Students MUST have passed:
Portuguese 1 (ELCH08012)
||Other requirements|| None
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2017/18, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 43,
Summative Assessment Hours 3,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||There will be regular assessed language exercises, two written class tests, a written project and two oral presentations.
All language exercises will be marked out of 100. The marks for all the above coursework assessments wil make up 40% of the total year assessment. The remaining 60% will be decided by the May Degree Examinations (oral examination, 12%; written examination, 48%)
||Students will receive oral/written feedback on their homework
||Hours & Minutes
|Main Exam Diet S2 (April/May)||2:00|
|Resit Exam Diet (August)||2:00|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Able to express themselves confidently and effectively in both written and spoken Portuguese in a range of situations and registers.
- Become familiar with the principal grammatical and lexical distinctions between European and Brazilian Portuguese.
- Possess a broad vocabulary and develop excellent reading and listening comprehension skills
- Acquire a solid knowledge of issues pertinent to Portuguese and Brazilian current affairs, through the texts and recordings presented in classes.
- Work effectively both independently and as part of a group.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Keywords||DELC Portuguese 2
|Course organiser||Miss Helena Macdonald
Tel: (0131 6)51 3089
|Course secretary||Miss Fiona Jack
Tel: (0131 6)50 3635