Undergraduate Course: Culture and Society in the Catalan World (ELCH08014)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Humanities and Social Science
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 8 (Year 2 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||This course will provide an interdisciplinary survey of the culture and society of the Catalan speaking world.
This course will provide an interdisciplinary survey of the culture and society of the Catalan speaking world. Catalan Culture will be explored through the study of three literary texts in their historical context, as well as through reference to other forms of articulation, such as Politics, architecture, music and art.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
|Additional Costs|| The purchase of literary texts - total cost approximately £35.
Information for Visiting Students
|Pre-requisites||For visiting students, the course is available only with the explicit permission of the Course Organiser for Catalan
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2017/18, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 44,
Formative Assessment Hours 2,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||One Formative essay of 1000 words at the end of S1.
One summative essay of 1500 words at the end of S2.
One 10 minute small group presentation.
Evaluation of preparation, participation and engagement in class.
2,000-word take-home examination in Semester 2 exam diet, consisting of a close-reading commentary and a short essay.
||Oral and written feedback on all assessed exercise as well as formative one
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Develop analytical, communication and presentation skills through group discussions and individual presentations on aspects of literature and history
- Engage in historical debate and how to adopt a critical approach to literature assessing the relationship between history and aspects of cultural expression
- Be familiar with the background to the cultural and artistic expression of Catalonia whilst also knowing something of the other nations whose language is Catalan (Andorra, South of France, Sardinia).
- Able to consider the present in relation to the past and understand the wider role of literature and memory in the shaping of a nation's development as well as its political institutions.
- Demonstrate self-reliance, initiative, organisational and problem-solving skills and the ability to work flexibly with others as part of a team
|See uploaded document (Bibliography)|
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
||By the end of the course, students will have further developed their skills in the areas of research and enquiry, personal and intellectual autonomy, communication, and personal effectiveness. For further specification of these skills see the university's graduate and employability skills framework at www.employability.ed.ac.uk/documents/GAFramework+Interpretation.pdf
|Keywords||DELC C&S Catalan
|Course organiser||Dr Sergi Mainer
Tel: (0131 6)50 8966
|Course secretary||Miss Fiona Jack
Tel: (0131 6)50 3635