Undergraduate Course: Portuguese 4 Language Paper 2 (ELCH10055)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Humanities and Social Science
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 10 (Year 4 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||This is a course in translation from Portuguese into English. Each week, students will translate a text, or an extract from a text sourced from a range of periods and genres (literary, journalistic, didactic, technical, commercial, etc.) and therefore in differing registers.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate a broad palette of Portuguese vocabulary with a high degree of grammatical accuracy in writing, even on abstract, complex and unfamiliar topics, supported by a sophisticated understanding of the culture of the Portuguese-speaking countries.
- Produce clear, complex essays in Portuguese on current topics, which develop arguments both critically and systematically with the use of relevant emphases, subsidiary points, and examples.
- Engage successfully and creatively with the theory and practice of literary translation from Portuguese to English, producing excellent literary English in an appropriate style and register, and showing an appreciation of issues of cultural difference.
- Engage with complex, challenging texts in Portuguese, showing an ability to read for style, register, content, narrative perspective, and other features of literary narrative.
- Consistently exercise autonomy and initiative, taking significant responsibility for the work of others and for a range of resources to bring about new thinking.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Dr Raquel Ribeiro
Tel: (0131 6)51 7112
|Course secretary||Miss Fiona Jack
Tel: (0131 6)50 3635