Undergraduate Course: Russian Oral and Written Language (VS1) (ELCR09005)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Humanities and Social Science
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 9 (Year 3 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Part-year visiting students only
|Summary||The course develops both productive and receptive language skills in Russian and is based on classes in both Spoken and Written Russian.
The classes in written Russian deal with translation from and into Russian of texts in a range of genres; guided writing and text analysis, added by a variety of exercises and classroom activities.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Information for Visiting Students
|Pre-requisites||2 years of Russian Language study at university level (or a pass in a course equivalent to ELCR08003 Russian 2 Language). Entry is also subject to a language test by the relevant subject area on arrival and at the discretion of the course organiser.
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
| By the end of the course the students should be able:
- to demonstrate an advanced command of the grammar and syntax of written Russian
- to demonstrate a broad knowledge of Russian vocabulary and some awareness of nuance and register in relation to lexical items
- to have enhanced skills in translation from English into Russian and from Russian into English to produce a written text in Russian in a range of styles
- to make appropriate and effective use of a range of language-learning resources and materials (bilingual and monolingual dictionaries, advanced grammar books, electronic resources etc.)
- to demonstrate awareness of the syntactical and idiomatic differences between Russian and English
- to demonstrate a good understanding of Russian texts in a number of genres
- to demonstrate competence in the analysis and evaluation of the translation problems raised by a given text.
- to communicate in Russian with certain fluency on a range of topics, including those from cultural, social and political domains.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Dr Lara Ryazanova-Clarke
Tel: (0131 6)50 3668
|Course secretary||Miss Julie Gifford
Tel: (0131 6)50 4026