Undergraduate Course: Swedish 1 (ELCS08027)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Humanities and Social Science
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 8 (Year 1 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||Since few applicants to the university have a pre-qualification in a Scandinavian language, the first-year ab-initio classes are the standard form of entry to the study of a Scandinavian language.
Summary of content: mostly language, some literature and civilisation.
Swedish 1 is a full-year course taught for four hours a week. The main emphasis of the course is on concentrated learning of spoken and written language. There will also be student project work on aspects of Swedish culture, society and history. The literature component of the first-year course is of necessity slim, but a number of short texts are studied in Semester 2.
By the end of the course, the aim is to have reached CEFR level A2, as described in the learning outcomes.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
|Prohibited Combinations|| Students MUST NOT also be taking
Danish 1 (ELCS07001) OR
Norwegian 1 (ELCS08028)
||Other requirements|| None
|Additional Costs|| Textbooks (circa £30)
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2017/18, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 88,
Summative Assessment Hours 3,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 8,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||70% continuous assessment, comprising:
written language assessment (15%)
class exam (20%)
oral assessment 1 (10%)
literature assessment (10%)
oral assessment 2 (15%)
30% written degree exam
For Visiting Students enrolled on ELCS08031, 100% of the assessment is derived from coursework, comprising:
culture and civilisation essay (30%)
written language assessment (30%)
class exam (40%)
||Hours & Minutes
|Main Exam Diet S1 (December)||Swedish 1||2:00|
|Main Exam Diet S2 (April/May)||3:00|
|Resit Exam Diet (August)||3:00|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate a familiarity with everyday Swedish vocabulary, grammar and syntax; along with a broad understanding of Swedish culture.
- Appraise straightforward spoken and written information about familiar everyday, study or work related topics, identifying both general messages and specific details.
- Communicate with reasonable accuracy in familiar contexts on familiar topics both orally and in writing, expressing personal opinions, and comparing and contrasting those of others.
- Develop effective communication, presentation and interaction skills across a range of media.
- Demonstrate self-reliance, initiative, and the ability to work flexibly with others as part of a team.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Keywords||DELC Swedish 1
|Course organiser||Mrs Helen Lundén
Tel: (0131 6)50 8972
|Course secretary||Miss Gillian Paterson
Tel: (0131 6)50 3646