Postgraduate Course: Introductory Skills & Generic Skills (GMED11067)
|School||Deanery of Clinical Sciences
||College||College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||This programme should ensure that the student is equipped with the IT, literature searching, and basic statistical skills necessary to cope with the activities planned in later modules. We will also introduce writing skills, plagiarism and referencing and will demonstrate and encourage use of appropriate referencing software. Online tutorials and advice about using the virtual learning environment (VLE) (Blackboard Collaborate) and the virtual classroom (e.g. Wimba) will be delivered. Students will be expected to actively use these tools throughout the course to create pieces of solo and group work e.g. making presentations, reviewing journal article and writing short review articles. We will demonstrate the tools and resources available to perform good, thorough and accurate literature searching both within the University library services and on the world-wide web. We will discuss how to conduct literature appraisal, and discuss the concept of evidence-based medicine. They will receive some initial information on statistics that will be developed in later modules. The University transferable skills team and librarians will be working with us to tailor these module to the students needs. This module will be completed entirely on-line with minimal tutor involvement allowing students to do this independently in advance of entering on to any part of the course. This is particularly helpful for those doing stand-alone modules within the VLE as part of another course.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| MBChB (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery/Chirurgery) or equivalent.
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2017/18, Not available to visiting students (SS1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Lecture Hours 5,
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 5,
Online Activities 50,
Summative Assessment Hours 10,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||A written critical appraisal will constitute 90% of the student's grade. The remaining 10% will come from a Multiple Choice Question statistics exam.
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Navigate and use the online Virtual Learning Environment
- Understand and utilise basic statistical techniques
- Understand the principles of appraisal and use these to critically appraise academic papers
- Understand and demonstrate the principles underlying good academic writing including plagarism
- Understand how to create search terms and perform comprehensive literature searches
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Keywords||Introductory,generic,literature appraisal,literature searching,statistics,IT.
|Course organiser||Prof Simon Maxwell
Tel: (0131) 537 2506
|Course secretary||Mrs Krislyn Mcwilliams-Biles
Tel: (0131 5)37 2506