Postgraduate Course: Acute Medicine and Clinical Decision Making (GMED11072)
|School||Deanery of Clinical Sciences
||College||College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||This course aims to ensure that the candidate understands how to manage the majority of common emergency medical admissions and will be taught using clinical case scenarios. It will also look at clinical decision making in the acute medical context. Clinical decision-making is an important but often neglected part of health care provision today. Psychologists have studied the process of decision making for over half a century and identified a number of theoretical frameworks that could explain the behaviours employed by physicians in everyday real life situations that affects the level of patient care. This course will explore the underlying theories and put them in to real clinical situations.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| MBChB (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery/Chirurgery) or equivalent.
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2017/18, Not available to visiting students (SS1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Lecture Hours 10,
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 5,
Online Activities 50,
Summative Assessment Hours 10,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Formal summative written assessment will constitute 90% of the student's grade (clinical case scenarios). Online assessment (discussion boards) will constitute the other 10% of their overall course grade and is taken to represent a formative assessment of learning throughout the programme.
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Understand how to recognise the sick patient and how to diagnose and treat common emergency medical presentations.
- Understand the theory behind basic and advanced life support and understand how to continue patient care afterwards.
- Understand the role of decision making in the clinical environment and the main theoretical models of decision making.
- Reflect how patient safety may be compromised by poor decision making and ineffective healthcare environments and create strategies to overcome these.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Keywords||Clinical Decision Making,Acute Medicine.
|Course organiser||Prof Simon Maxwell
Tel: (0131) 537 2506
|Course secretary||Mrs Krislyn Mcwilliams-Biles
Tel: (0131 5)37 2506