Undergraduate Course: General and Algebraic Topology (MATH10075)
|School||School of Mathematics
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 10 (Year 4 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||This course will introduce students to essential notions in topology, such as topological spaces, continuous functions, and compactness, and move on to study of compact surfaces, homotopies, fundamental groups and covering spaces.
Compactness, connectedness, path-connectedness.
Fundamental groups and their calculation.
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2017/18, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Lecture Hours 44,
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 10,
Summative Assessment Hours 3,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Coursework 5%, Examination 95%
||Hours & Minutes
|Main Exam Diet S2 (April/May)||MATH10075 General and Algebraic Topology||3:00|
| 1. State and prove standard results regarding topological spaces and
continuous functions, and decide whether a simple unseen statement about them is true, providing a proof or counterexample as appropriate.
2. Construct homotopies and prove homotopy equivalence for simple examples.
3. Calculate fundamental groups of simple topological spaces, using generators and relations or covering spaces as necessary.
4. Calculate simple topological invariants, such as numbers of path components, degrees and winding numbers.
5. State and prove standard results about homotopy, and decide whether a simple unseen statement about them is true, providing a proof or counterexample as appropriate.
6. Provide an elementary example illustrating specified behaviour in relation to a given combination of basic definitions and key theorems across the course.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Dr Jonathan Pridham
Tel: (0131 6)50 3300
|Course secretary||Mrs Alison Fairgrieve
Tel: (0131 6)50 5045