Postgraduate Course: Landscape Construction 1: Detailed Design (ARCH11190)
|School||Edinburgh College of Art
||College||College of Humanities and Social Science
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||Landscape Construction 1: Detailed Design focuses on landscape design at a detailed scale, and is delivered through lectures, site visits, and a studio based design project/s. The course aims to:
1. enable exploration of a range of materials commonly used in landscape architecture, and to provide the opportunity for appropriate selection through the creative development and resolution of a detailed design.
2. introduce basic structural principles and to provide the opportunity for their application through the creative development and resolution of a detailed design.
3. enable development and testing of graphic communication skills and techniques.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2018/19, Not available to visiting students (SS1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
||Please contact the School directly for a breakdown of Learning and Teaching Activities
|Assessment (Further Info)
Please contact the School directly for a breakdown of Assessment Methods
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Project/s and workbooks 100%
Students must pass all learning outcomes. The aggregation of failed Learning outcomes with passing learning outcomes to generate an overall pass mark is not permitted. Failure of one learning outcome will result in a Forced Fail (FF) outcome.
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Explore, select, and apply a range of hard landscape materials to the resolution of a detailed design project.
- Apply a knowledge and understanding of structural principles to the resolution of a detailed design project
- Communicate a detailed design project clearly through the application of a range of appropriate graphic techniques.
- Demonstrate an understanding of scale and composition, and deliver a clear design intent through to the resolution of a detailed design project
|Beazley, E (1990) Design & detail of the space between buildings. Spon.|
Blanc, A (1996) Landscape construction and detailing. Batsford.
Downing, M F (1977) Landscape construction. Spon.
Munson, A E (1974) Construction & Design for Landscape Architects. McGraw-Hill.
Strom S. & Nathan, K. (1998) Site Engineering for Landscape Architects. Wiley NY.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
||critical analysis, orgainzation and setting aims
creative problem solving
communication and presentation skills: graphical and verbal
|Course organiser||Ms Elinor Scarth
Tel: (0131 6)51 5887
|Course secretary||Ms Katerina Sykioti
Tel: (0131 6)51 5744