Postgraduate Course: Introduction to Clinical Evidence (DENT11105)
|School||Deanery of Clinical Sciences
||College||College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||This course introduces the postgraduate students to on-line distance education and the skills necessary to search for and make use of relevant clinical scientific literature.
Students will learn to navigate the bespoke virtual learning environment and will be introduced to library searching and the critical appraisal of relevant scientific literature.
This course covers the following topics:
Navigating the virtual learning environment
Using a bibliographic manager
Introduction to primary dental care research
Statistical terms and methodology
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Navigate the virtual learning environment and demonstrate the ability to create a profile, post to the discussion boards, use the Wiki and upload documents.
- Apply the concept of self- reflection and start a reflective ePortfolio with regular entries throughout the module.
- Record the results of a basic library search and export it to a bibliographic manager.
- Read and critically appraise different types of scientific papers and write two, well-argued examples.
- Discuss and define the various statistical tests that are commonly used in the clinical evidence supporting primary dental care as a group project using a Wiki.
|The reading list is available through the University of Edinburgh online resource list system so that students are able to link directly to essential items and be signposted to further reading.|
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
||Be able to apply the skills necessary for study and enquiry in an on-line academic environment.
Possess skills in understanding research in this subject and have the ability to analyse literature in an appropriate way.
||Computer specification to enable participation
|Additional Class Delivery Information
||This course is delivered by online learning using a virtual learning environment managed by Blackboard Learn. On-line delivery is supported by discussion boards, recorded lectures, instructional videos and group project interaction using a Wiki.
Reflective learning is supported using an electronic journal and encouraged via tutor interaction.
|Keywords||IT skills,Evidence based dentistry,Virtual learning environment,Primary dental care research,bib
|Course organiser||Dr Oonagh Lawrie
Tel: (0131) 536 3974
|Course secretary||Miss Jennifer Allison
Tel: (0131) 536 3975