Postgraduate Course: Fundamentals of Fixed Prosthodontics (DENT12005)
|School||Deanery of Clinical Sciences
||College||College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 12 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||This course is compromised of two elements:
1. A seminar programme that will review classic and contemporary literature that forms the Evidence base for contemporary treatment approaches for patients requiring tooth-supported, fixed prosthodontic treatment.
2. Supervised treatment of patients requiring prosthodontics care and attendance at Consultant-led diagnostic clinics.
marginal fit of indirect restorations
contours and pontic design in fixed prosthodontics
soft tissue control
posts and cores for non vital teeth
direct cores for vital teeth
tooth preparation - periodontal considerations
Cementation of indirect restorations
tooth preparation geometry
abutment tooth assessment
strategic extraction in prosthodontics treatment
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2018/19, Not available to visiting students (SS1)
|Course Start Date
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 12,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Written Examination - 90 minutes - 70%«br /»
Practical Examination - 30 minutes - 20%«br /»
Course Work - 10% (2 x Open-Book Essay)«br /»
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Possess the skills to establish a diagnosis, prognosis and treatment strategy for the management of the partially dentate patient.
- Have knowledge and understanding of the effect that loss of teeth has on function, aesthetics and psychological well-being.
- Have knowledge of when and how to provide the most appropriate restorative modalities to restore function and aesthetics in a predictable manner.
- Be familiar with the evidence base that supports contemporary approaches to fixed, prosthodontics treatment.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Keywords||Fixed Prosthodontics,Oral Rehabilitation,Fixed Partial Dentures,Crowns,Indirect Restorations,Direct
|Course organiser||Dr Krishna Bhatia
Tel: (0131) 536 3976
|Course secretary||Ms Anna Atluri
Tel: (0131) 536 3979