Postgraduate Course: Systematic Review (DENT12006)
|School||Deanery of Clinical Sciences
||College||College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 12 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||Design and organisation of a Systematic Review, with a systematic literature search, appraisal of methodological quality, data extraction and evaluation and narrative synthesis in preparation for a peer-reviewed publication.
A Systematic Review of primary research on a health-care intervention relevant to the appropriate discipline will be undertaken to identify, collate and appraise the relevant literature. The taught component of this course will be restricted to minimal use of lecture/seminar-format and particular emphasis will be placed on independent and autonomous academic study throughout the duration of the programme with appropriate tutor support and feedback.
The Systematic Review will be prepared in the format of a peer-reviewed publication, submitted in written format six weeks prior to the assessment and will be marked independently by two examiners. The student will present the Systematic Review in a 10 minute verbal presentation which will be followed by a 10 minute structured oral assessment and will be assessed by the same two examiners who graded the written review.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- The ability to design and organise a Systematic Review
- The ability to independently obtain, critically appraise, summarise and synthesise clinical- and research material from a range of appropriate resources
- The ability to evaluate research appropriate to the discipline
- The ability to consider, appraise and evaluate the relative benefits of different modalities of dental treatment appropriate to the discipline
- The ability to compile a Systematic Review for peer-reviewed publication
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Keywords||Systematic Review; critical appraisal; systematic literature search; data extraction; quality asses
|Course organiser||Dr Jennifer Foley
|Course secretary||Ms Anna Atluri
Tel: (0131) 536 3979