Postgraduate Course: Clinical Patient Care 3 (DENT12057)
|School||Deanery of Clinical Sciences
||College||College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 12 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||Clinical care of patients appropriate to the discipline with an emphasis on independent practice and management of complex/inter-disciplinary cases.
The student will be required to undertake the clinical care of patients attending for new patient assessment, out- and in-patient treatment clinics and multi-disciplinary clinics. All patient treatment will be recorded in a reflective Clinical Portfolio. In addition, students will attend clinical discussion groups including journal- and trauma clubs.
Students will be assessed on two clinical case-studies. Students will have forty minutes preparation time to review the two cases. A structured oral assessment of forty minutes duration will be conducted by two examiners with twenty minutes dedicated to each case.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- clinical competence at the level of a specialist for an appropriate range of treatment techniques
- the ability to analyse and manage complex problems within their discipline
- the scientific principles of critical evaluation and analytical thinking for a range of clinical problems
- the ability to consider, appraise and evaluate the relative benefits of different modalities of dental treatment appropriate to the discipline
- an appreciation of- and exhibit an evidence-based clinical practice
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Keywords||Clinical care,complex care,multi-disciplinary care,independent practice,specialist-level
|Course organiser||Dr Jennifer Foley
|Course secretary||Ms Anna Atluri
Tel: (0131) 536 3979